IMF
International Monetary Fund Managing Director, Christine Lagarde has confirmed that she will run for a second five- year term.
“Yes I am candidate to a second mandate,” said Lagarde.
Germany, Britain, China, France, Mexico and Korea have so far backed her second bid.
“I was honoured to receive from the start of the process the backing,” said Lagarde.
Had a good meeting with #IMF-chief Christine
— Jeroen Dijsselbloem (J_Dijsselbloem) 21 Janvier 2016Lagarde
. NL fully supports her candidacy for a second term. #WEF16 pic.twitter.com/0jm0fImMV2
The IMF opened nominations on wednesday, January 20.
The former French finance minister whose her term expires on July, 5 has been sued in France for allegedly paying over $428 million negligently to a businessman in 2008, during Nicholas Sarkozy’s term.
“My lawyers have appealed this decision. I still consider that I always acted in the state’s interest and within the law. I have my conscience for me in this affair. I hope the courts, when the judicial procedure ends, however long and difficult it might be, will agree with that, just as public prosecution has.”
Go to video
DRC: speculations rise over potential government reshuffle on the horizon
01:28
IMF lauds Senegal for strengthening economy, amending debt position
Go to video
Kenya's debt costs to remain high as government relies on local borrowing, Moody's says
00:43
American agency S&P downgrades Senegal's credit rating from B to B-
01:32
BRICS call for IMF reform, fairer AI governance
01:03
Ethiopia to post faster growth despite debt, inflation